Search This Blog

Happy Children

Happy Children
Children at Dhapo Colony Slum

Friday, April 07, 2023

Nine-Day Karnataka Campaign by Prof. V.K. Tripathi

Nine-Day Karnataka Campaign

V.K. Tripathi

            In early March, a meeting of Sadbhav Mission was held in Delhi. It was decided that Sadbhav Mission should do its bit to counter sectarian tilt of polity in forthcoming assembly election in Karnataka. I wrote a flier, “Clear the Eyes and Bring Pro-People Government” and sent it to SM friends for comments. Dr. Yogendra Yadav contacted Mr. Akki and he graciously translated it in Kannada. Yogendra ji also advised his colleagues of Bharat Jodo Abhiyan to help arrange my meetings. I talked to Shri Maqbool Siraj, Shri EP Menon, Shri KP Singh, Shri Vinay Kumar and Shri Rajiv Gowda, ex-MP. Shri Gowda was immensely generous to arrange my Bangalore stay in a hotel at his own expenses. JNU friend Vasantha put me in contact with Prof. Phaniraj, Udupi who introduced me to Prof. Rajaram Tolpadi, Director, Nehru Study Center, Mangalore Univ. Prof. Tolpadi provided me every possible help and support in Mangalore with great affection, including stay in University Guest House and talks in various colleges in the city and in Udupi.

            I left Delhi with 4000 fliers and 60 copies of the book “Satyagraha Against Prejudice and Exploitation” on March 25, 2023 at 9:40 PM by Duranto Express and reached Mangalore on March 27, at 6:40 AM. On my journey I observed fast for 36 hours (took 2 oranges, 100 gm grapes, gur and water), pained by the unjust order of the Surat Court sentencing Rahul Gandhi on a minor statement in an election speech in Kolar (Karnataka) in 2019, and also by the denial of the Lok Sabha to let him defend his UK speech on which false allegations were made against him. In the train I met Sultana, an aged lady from Godhra. She was returning to Ernakulam to join her work in a family. She was illiterate but truly secular and truth speaking. Her compassion and simplicity touched me.

            Prof. Tolpadi and Dr. Naina sent a car to pick me up. It took me to Univ. Guest House. At 10:30 AM, Prof. Tolpadi took me to the university and introduced me to his colleagues. At 12:15 I took the city bus and reached the city at 1 PM. I began distributing fliers in markets, side lanes and roads. Many responded with warmth and expressed appreciation. A vendor purchased water bottle for me, another offered an orange. Many students talked with interest.

In a shop, when I gave my flier to a person standing by, he asked whom would you like me to vote. I said, Congress in the present situation. He said, “Then our ways are different. I am RSS Pracharak of Udupi.” I told, “Indeed our views are different. But I am touched by your serenity. In 1966 I met Rajju Bhaiya  My views were totally different from his, but his warmth touched me.” He said, “Boat does not matter whether it is Congress or RSS, our direction should be right.” I said, “I agree with you. All ideologies and religions are meant to make us human and humble.” He shook his head in affirmation and I left.

On March 28 I reached the city bus stand at 10 AM and began giving fliers and talking to people. Many bus conductors/ drivers and auto drivers took fliers with interest, many shop keepers expressed appreciation. One lane had Supari market with significant percentage of Muslim traders. I found Hindu and Muslim traders in good relations. As I passed by a mosque, I gave fliers to 5 people sitting near the entrance. After a while an old man from there came to me and asked for 10 more fliers for others. I gave him the fliers. 15 minutes later I went to the mosque to express my gratitude to this man. I met few other people. They showered their love.

At 2PM I reached Alloysious College. In a little while Prof. Tolpadi, Dr. Naina and two professors =from Mangalore U. arrived for my talk. We had a heartening meeting with college Principal, Registrar and faculty. 3 to 4 PM I gave a talk on Science and Freedom to 120 students. The response was overwhelming. At 6:30 PM I reached the Guest House.

At 8 PM I received a phone call from someone, asking me, “What proof do you have of 40% commission mentioned in your flier.” I said, “Read the whole sentence. It is not me but the Contractor association is crying to save them of 40% commission govt. See newspaper reports.” He kept insisting on proof and told that you will have to come to police station. Then he hanged the phone. I realized intimidation was present here too.

March 29, 10-12:30 I visited the Center for Advanced Research in Environmental Radioactivity, Mangalore U. It is a magnificent lab headed by Prof. Karunakar Naregundi. I gave a talk on Thermonuclear Fusion. 1:30-5 PM I distributed fliers in the city, met many nice people.

March 30, I left the Guest House at 7 AM and took the bus to the city. Prof. Tolpadi joined me at the inter-city bus stand.. We took the bus to Udupi and reached there at 10 AM. Shri Md. Yaseen organized a meeting with 40 prominent social and political activists from the district. We had an extraordinarily absorbing session on current challenges for 2.5 hours. At 1 PM we visited Dr. G. Shankar Govt. Women College and met with Principal Dr. Bhaskar Shetty and Dr. Suchithra. Suchithra took us to lunch and drove to Milagres College. Principal Dr. Vincent Alva organized my talk on Science and Freedom with 150 students and teachers. In the evening we returned to Mangalore.

March 31, I checked out of the Guest House at 8 AM, took successive buses and reached Suratkal. Prof. Tolpadi also arrived. Dr. Sudha organized my talk on India’s Mass Movement for Freedom at Dovinda Das College at 10:-12. At 2 PM I gave a lecture at Canara College on Newton’s Laws of Motion and Gravitation. Afterwards I distributed fliers. Also, made 500 copies of the Kannada flier. Mrs. Tolpadi took me home and offered an excellent dinner At 8:30 PM, I boarded the train and reached Bangalore at 6:30 AM, April 1.

I distributed fliers in the station area for 2 hours. Then took the bus and reached Orchid Suites in the city, where accommodation was arranged by Shri Rajiv Gowda. 11:15 to 3 PM I distributed fliers. At 3 PM Shri Gowda arrived and we had very heartening discussions. 4-6 PM I walked into the localities giving fliers. At 6 PM arrived Mr. Faizullah Qureshi with his family. They are filled with love and sensitivity. They brought fruits, gulgule, dates, and highly delicious shahi tukda. We had roza aftar together. At 7:30 PM Vinay, an Aeronautical engineer and a committed secular activist promoting constitution values, took me to dinner. Next morning, I joined his monthly meeting in Cubbon Park. It had 20 outstanding and dedicated activists. I spoke for 15 minutes and listened to their indepth discussions. Journalist Udbhavi carried my interview and published it in Deccan Herald next day (April 3). At 12:15 PM I reached Jayanagar and visited Shri, K, Rahman Khan, ex-Speaker Lok Sabha. His simplicity, sensitivity and depth of understanding of national issues was a revelation to me.  At 12:45 PM Shri Koushik Krishnan and his son came to meet me near Jayanagar Metro station. Koushik is caring and deeply committed to secularism. So his son. We discussed practical issues related to current situation for 90 minutes. At 3 PM he dropped me at HSR Layout where I visited Prof. Rahul De, Sharmila and Ashna. We had heartening discussions. At 4:30 Rahul dropped me at Shantinagar. For 3 hrs I distributed the fliers.

April 3, 9 AM, I reached St. Joseph’s University (SJU) and began giving fliers and talking to students at the gate and on the road. In 3 hours I consumed 500 fliers and many students poured their hearts. An Auto driver felt moved and asked, what benefit do I get by giving the fliers. I said, “Your love is my reward”. He showered his love. At 1:50-2:40 Fr. Maxim Dias and Prof. Areesh organized my lecture on Nonviolence at the Dept of Peace and International Relations, SJU with 110 students. I felt deeply moved by the response. At 5:30 PM, Saurav came to meet me at Forum Mall. He is a truly secular Newsweek reporter. We talked for an hour and then walked to the residence of Mr. Asif Aboobkar. He is a gem, truly enlighted and warm. So is his wife Yasmeen. We had a great roza aftar.

April 4, I checked out at 8:30 AM, distributed 200 fliers and reached Alternative Law Forum where Vinay had organized my talk. I spoke about three fronts of resistance to communalism: To remove prejudice from peoples’ minds, To intervene in tense situations, and To curb the polity of polarization and corporate dominance. From this perspective I shared my experiences with various strategies. We need to (1) Build bases in cities we live in, (2) motivate the educated and affluent to build friendship with the masses rather than polarizing and abusing them, (3) organize workshops in Maths, Science and History, (4) Distribute fliers, (5) Organize marches/ fasts. The participants, including Lokesh, Arvind and few women were a deeply committed group. In the evening I took flight to Delhi. 


No comments: