Search This Blog

Happy Children

Happy Children
Children at Dhapo Colony Slum

Monday, March 07, 2016

Thinking My Mother on International Women's Day

Ammi never went to any school (formal or non-formal) but she ensured that her children get the best schooling in the world.

I went to Government Primary School in my village but there were no option after 5th standard. Either you leave village and pursue education or enroll in the list of dropout children.  Abba (himself dropped out after 3rd standard) went to  Calcutta (now Kolkata) and started working at Keshoram Cotton Mill. To make the story short, he got the idea of sending me to Aligarh.  I cleared the entrance test and got admission in Minto Circle School, AMU, Aligarh.

Why I am thinking about it and my Ammi? She learnt how to read & write when she was in her 40s or 50s. She learnt basic language along with taking care of household chores and other works.

There was no phone at that time. The only way to contact my parents was throuhg post office services. Every week I used to write letter and expect the same from home. My letters were full of reporting- school, food, play and hostel lives. There was double problem to Ammi. Her only son was not only living about 800 KM away from home but also living alone in hostel. Abba was in Kolkata and Ammi in the village, Kataila.  So every Sunday I would write letter to her but she could not read it. She had to take the letter to so many people before she get to know that her son is doing fine. Writing letter on her behalf was even more difficult task. No one had time for this.

One day I was coming from dinning hall after the lunch. Somebody told that I there is letter for me. I opened the envelop and read that letter several times. That letter was written by Ammi. In a basic langue, she conveyed the message and I got it. I literally cried that day. I still have that letter.

I love you Ammi and I am so proud of you.

Reg
Shaheen
08/03/2016

No comments: